What is National Health Insurance ?
The purpose is to promote social security and improve national health of the citizens of Korea and foreigners residing in Korea by providing insurance benefits regarding the treatments of, but not limited to, illnesses and injuries.
Insurance Start Date
D-2: Foreign resident registration number issuance time
D-4: After 6 months from your arrival date
Type of payment
- Automatic transfer (from your bank account or credit card), website, NHIS branch office, bank.
- Call (033-811-2000) for English service) or visit an NHIS branch office to apply for an electronic (email or mobile) billing instead of receiving a paper bill.
Benefits of Health Insurance
- NHIS covers 40~70% of your hospital fee.
- Be aware that certain medical types cannot be covered by the Health Insurance
Medical Care Service Type 💊
Dental Care (Scaling)
Dental Scaling usually costs about 50,000~100,000 KRW depending on the hospital. HOWEVER, if you are a beneficiary of National Health Insurance, you can get dental scaling care for about 15,000 ~ 30,000 KRW once a year.
- Health Insurance beneficiaries who are between the ages of 19-65 is eligible to apply for the Medical Examination without additional payment.
- However you can only apply depending on the number of the year and your birth year. Your birth year and the current year should match considering if it is odd or even number.
ex1) Current year: 2023 / Birth year: 1997, 1999, 2001 …
ex2) Current year: 2024/ Birth year: 1998, 2000, 2002 …
- Medicine, medical material, or medical service that is provided or used for a disease that does not influence a patient’s daily life seriously.
- Medicine, medical material, or medical service that does not improve the essential bodily functions.
- ex) Cosmetic surgery, freckle treatment, snoring treatment.
If you have any questions regarding the Health Insurance/Medical service, feel free to ask HireVisa+ via channel talk.